Posted: 12 March 2014
It is a requirement of the manufacturer’s warranty, that a regular maintenance is carried out. The following are some basic requirements that will prolong the life of your roof:
- Never allow people inexperienced in working on roofing, to walk on your roof. The damage from this source is very common. It is unsightly and may affect the weathering abilities of the roof.
- Use a reputable roofing company to check and maintain your roof, if you are unable to do the work yourself.
- High roofs require scaffolding or safety equipment before maintenance is attempted.
- Wear soft rubber soled shoes to protect yourself and also the roof.
- Read the warranty conditions regarding the maintenance requirements for your roof products and follow the instructions to keep your warranty valid.
- Be careful of what products you use on the roof or the cladding. For example, an oil based paint or stain will seriously damage butyl roofing, and a corrosive cleaning chemicals will damage the base of steel roofing.
- Keep valleys and gutters free of leaves and other debris. This is particularly important through the autumn and early winter, when damming of these elements can cause serious damage to the interior of the house.
A regular roof survey helps preventing leaks or reacting before it's too serious.
With a periodic check should be made on nail fasteners to ensure that the odd one has not lifted. Do not over drive the nail as that is as likely to cause problems as a loose fastener.
On , look for broken, cracked or loose tiles. This is often best done from inside the lofts space. During bright sunshine cracks will become easier to notice from inside the loft. Similarly, slipped tiles will be easy to spot from such a close proximity.From the outside give the roofing cement a good inspection. You can safely do this from the ground. Loose or cracked mortar is often a cause of leaks and early roof failure. If the roofing cement requires attention it should be repointed as soon as possible to avoid leaks.
Roof leaks are not only extremely annoying; they cause an unhealthy damp environment within your home. Leaks should be dealt with as soon as you notice them. This will prevent serious damage to the buildings structure and save you money on repairs. Most roof leaks can be repaired quickly with no inconvenience to the homeowner. If you have any doubts, give us a call on 07 574 7058 or email us, and we will provide you with a free quote for all your roof repairs.